Thursday, July 31, 2014

Trip Report: My Introduction to Minnesota's Driftless Area

I moved to a small town in Southeast Minnesota a few days ago. Since leaving Montana I have had serious trout withdraws so for the last few days I've been filling out job applications and fishing!
There's me with my first Minnesota brook trout. The wife and I walked up a larger river into this tributary. The water was cold but unfortunately we only saw this and another small brown trout. I found my new favorite spot only ten minutes from my house!
The water is clear and cold. I spotted a few rising trout but couldn't manage to connect on any dry flies. I went subsurface and caught around two dozen brown trout ranging from 6 inches to about 14.
This beast came from an unassuming hole between two stands of submerged vegetation. He took a small gray and pink fly called a pink squirrel tied with my own additions. He fought hard, swimming under the undercut bank and then into the weeds. I lost two other really nice fish that snapped off by swimming under the bank. After a quick pic he was released to fight another day. On the drive home I decided that this will be my "home water."

No comments:

Post a Comment