Monday, November 17, 2014

Fly Box

It's been pretty damn cold for the last few weeks here in Southeast Minnesota! I haven't gotten out fishing but I have been busy at the vice. After looking into my fly box during my last trip I new I needed to tie some of the old reliable as well as some new patterns.
 These flies were only a few of the patterns I worked on. I typically pick a pattern and tie around a dozen before moving on to another pattern. The reason for this is because it is more efficient when I don't have to change materials.
 This skittering caddis and foam hopper have produced on streams from the Midwest to Montana. I had great luck on hoppers at certain times this season and can't wait to fish 'em again.
These flies are about 1 1/2 inch long. I can't wait to try fishing them through undercuts and deep pools. I tied these in a bigger version with a black tungsten cone head that's about 2 1/5 inches. These flies are supposed to look like minnows and sculpin.
After tying more traditional patterns I thought about all the leopard frogs that I scared from the banks. I often wondered if those frogs ever fell victim to an opportunistic hog of a trout. If they do this is the fly that will prove it! 
Stay tuned. Temps are supposed to rise over the next week and I'll fish in anything in the mid 20's!

No comments:

Post a Comment