Sunday, November 29, 2015

Trip Report: Some Fish November:)

After tying hundreds and hundreds of flies over the last few weeks I found some time today to get out fishing. I hoped to test out some new dry fly midge patterns today but with cold and clouds there was very little surface activity. Instead I tied on a black size 18 zebra midge and prospected a promising run.
 I hooked into this rosy cheeked rainbow almost immediately. Shortly after this other little guy took the midge. I pulled in six trout out of the first long run that I fished. After 30 minutes or so I ran into a new friend that I'd met on this stream a few weeks ago. We fished upstream together.
This picture is of the rosy cheeked trout above! We continued upstream finding a few smaller trout here and there. I fished the pink squirrel of prey on some prime runs and dredged some deeper water with very little to show for my efforts. I decided to shorten up and see if a trout would chase the squirrel in a shallower run.
This decent brown took the fly in about two feet of water and put up a decent fight. After darting around submerged rocks he swam gently into my waiting net. After a few quick pics he was returned to the ice cold drink. Check out that sweet side pony tail flowing from under that hat...and those dumpy looking waders!!! After hauling in a few more little ones we called it a day.

Stay Tuned: I'll be getting out a lot more (hopefully) once the Winter Trout Season begins on January 1.

2 comments:

  1. When you say, "I decided to shorten up and see if a trout would chase the squirrel in a shallower run.", does that just mean that you shortened your leader?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I moved the indicator down. Should've said shallow'd up!

    ReplyDelete