Sunday, December 20, 2015

Trip Report: Quick Fish

Today I got out for a quick fish while the wifey made Christmas Cookies! With cloudy skies and temps in the mid 40's around noon I hoped to find a good midge hatch. Upon arrival at the river I found no fish rising and a few midges buzzing around. I tied on a brown streamer and immediately tied into a decent brownie.
This guy surprised the heck out of me. He came out of a spot chocked full of stocked Rainbow trout. He didn't put up much of a fight but it was nice to hook into a stout brown right away. I landed a few small rainbows on the streamer before heading upstream. A little ways up I spotted a good number of little midges fluttering about. A few seconds later the trout took notice and began rising. I tied on some 5X tippet and a size 24 parachute midge emerger.
I landed around a half dozen little bows in short order before the hatch died. I hooked into one really colorful bow but the hook pulled out as I steered him to the net. I quickly moved on. With no more midges coming off I tied my streamer back on and landed a few more bows and this little brownie.
I probably landed over a dozen trout with all but three being Rainbow trouts. I ran into a pretty good number of anglers today and parking areas were well occupied. Hopefully this warm weather will stick around into the new year when the general early season begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment