Sunday, July 31, 2016

Trip Report: Darn Good Fishin'

I wasn't planning to fish much this weekend but after purchasing a new car yesterday I had to celebrate. Every time the wife and I have to spend a lot of money I usually have pretty good luck on the stream. When we had to pay north of a grand to fix up our puppy I landed two 20+ inch trout. Last night proved similar.
After landing a few smaller trout this skinny trout hit! He put up a solid fight but didn't spook the pool.
Next I hooked and briefly landed this 20+ inch beast! I didn't bring the net so I scooped him up with one hand while I reached for my camera with the other. I held him out of the water for a split second before he slipped out of my hand and flopped into the water, snapping my line. I snapped a few pics like the one above before he swam off.
This finally, this guy took the fly and put up a great fight. I'd guess he measured around 18 inches. After landing a few more dinks I decided to call it a night. All fish came on a size 14 Pink Squirrel of Prey fished on the bottom. When I got home I check my schedule and found no plans for today. What else would I do but go fishing!
 I texted my buddy Jesse whose a spin fisherman and he was down to fish. We decided on a death march deep into trout territory.
Before long I landed this nice brownie from an unsuspecting lie. He put up a great little fight and because I had the net he was easy to land. This fish, along with all of the trout I caught today, came on a pink San Juan Worm.
This decent little guy came out of the water pictured behind me. It was interesting to see the water levels drop and the water clear throughout the day. We had a great stain on the water which definitely helped conceal us from the fishes view.
We put in a few miles of hiking and fishing. A decent number of fish came to hand but it was not as fast and furious as I hoped it would be. I will be unable to fish for the next week but hopefully I'll build a rod or two and restock my fly box!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great, Clayton! Looks like you've got the "big browns" thing down.

    Hoping we can find a way to get some time on the water together before the end of the season.

    ReplyDelete