Sunday, November 6, 2016

Trip Report: Shorter Days

Today I got out to fish a park just down the road from my house.
I hoped to fish this stream but expected the area to be crawling with people. Temps started in the high 40's and ended around 70. Not a good day for the neoprenes! Most of the parking areas looked more crowded than I like so I headed to an area of the park that is less pressured. Unfortunately as I headed down stream another angler emerged from the woods. As I approached he landed a small rainbow trout. A good sign but I wasn't looking to fish behind someone. I called an audible and found myself on a tiny tributary of the stream pictured above.
The first thing I noticed was redds everywhere! I worked upstream along the spongy shoreline looking for fish holding around deeper water. I found a few, mostly brookies!
This guy took a funky chewed up experiment fly/pink squirrel variation. After a few quick pics he returned to the drink. I landed 6 fish today with all but one brookies. You'll notice the fly rod grip in the background looks clean. I nabbed a 7'9" 3wt from my inventory. I love this rod! I can't wait to get back out and fling flies with it. It cast like a dream in tight quarters and played those little fish with just the right ease.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous! Looks like great fun! I've never caught a brookie in full colors like that

    ReplyDelete