Sunday, January 15, 2017

Trip Report: Cold and Lazy

I got out fishin' today but felt a little cold and lazy, maybe unmotivated. I hoped temps would be a little warmer but I arrived on stream with temps reading in the high single digits. After zipping through a few quick holes I landed on one with fish stacked and ready to eat.
This skinny guy took an orange scud trailed behind a tungsten beaded pink scud. I expected to find low, clear water but to my surprise visibility was less than a foot. There must have been some cows upstream muddying up the water.
I'm always amazed that fish can find such little flies in such heavily stained water. After landing around 6-7 out of this pool/run I checked my box for a streamer. Damn! I left them in the car. Rather than head back I moved on. 
While I spotted no other human tracks animal tracks abounded. I couldn't identify them all but fox, coyote, skunk, possum, raccoon, and duck prints were everywhere! I followed them back to the car after catching around 1 1/2 dozen trout. The biggest was only around 14 inches today. All fish came on scud patterns with  a pretty even split between orange and pink. If I could do it over I'd definitely have brought some streamers.
Typically when snow melts into to stream water temps decline and the fishes metabolism slows. I hope to get out again next weekend but with temps above freezing the fish may be even more tight lipped.

No comments:

Post a Comment