Saturday, February 4, 2017

Trip Report-Where The Bigguns At?

I finally got the opportunity to get out for a day on the streams after a relatively long dry spell! With the forecast calling for temps in the high 20's, cloudy skies, and 10-15 mile per hour breeze I bundled up really well. I arrived on stream around 930 and immediately landed a few small ones on a size 16 Pink Scud trailed behind a Pink Squirrel of Prey.
I've been tying up loads of the Squirrel of Prey but I find that the orange or pink scud are my best producer throughout the winter months. I chose a smaller stream today hoping to run into some bigger fish that came out under the clouds. The water was really clear and low. As soon as the sun decided to show fishing got really tough.
Around a dozen smaller trout came to hand before the sun made an appearance. 
 After the sun popped out I only landed another three including my second biggest fish of the day!
This guy wasn't large by any measure but he put up a great fight on the three weight. After walking back to the car and running a few errands in Winona I headed to another spot which is either on fire, or not. Today it was not. Three more fish came to hand at that spot including this skinny bugger.
I rolled a few nicer fish today but nothing over 14". It was nice to get out and while I didn't land any beasts fish came to hand pretty consistently. Most held in faster runs with some hanging at the bottom of pools. I didn't spot any risers today nor did I notice any midges in the creekside snow.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see someone's getting out! I might give you a ring toward the end of the month, if I can get a Saturday or Sunday where I'm not booked. I gotta get out there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck yeah! The weather's lookin' mighty good for late Feb.

    ReplyDelete