Sunday, March 8, 2015

Trip Report: Another Slow Day

Today I got out early to fish a nearby stream that is well known for its big browns, stocked bows, and heritage strain brook trout. I drove to the headwaters passing miles of great looking water on the way. I spotted four bald eagles through the windshield and two more while out fishing!
Got a few blurry pics of him as he flew higher and higher. After rigging up with snowshoes I tied on the pink squirrel of prey and began fishin'. Just like yesterday I caught a fish on the first cast!
Three small browns followed this one to hand. I chose this spot because I thought there was a chance I'd tie into a brookie but after catching a half dozen tiny browns and three ok ones I decided to move on. After fishing to the end of the easement with little to show for my efforts I headed to a spot a little further down stream. I saw fish surfacing intermittently as I approached the stream. I found a few tiny Blue Winged Olive mayflies on the snow so I tied on a sz 20 CDC BWO emerger and began casting.
This was the ticket! I didn't catch anything over 12 inches but had fun pulling in another half dozen browns on small dries. I also managed to catch another two on an olive stripped quill zebra midge. After fishing the entirety of this small easement section I drove to an "urban" stream. I tried fishing heavy nymphs and streamers but only saw a few smaller fish flash. Hopefully as the weather improves so will the fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment