Sunday, October 25, 2015

Trip Report: Chirpin' Squirrels and BWOs

Over the last few days I've gotten out fishing at some of the only open waters in my area. I got a new pair of neoprene waders from Fleet Farm on Friday so I had to break 'em in. I spend a decent amount of time prospecting with the Pink Squirrel of Prey but found some of my best fish this afternoon fishing with deer hair parachute BWO's. 
I caught a few little ones on a size 20 RS2 but the overwhelmingly preferred the size 18 parachute. 
I pulled in more little browns than I'd care to count. This is a good sign for the future of the fisheries but makes for some mediocre fishing. The trout pictured above ate the RS2. I stood in one spot and picked of a dozen or so before moving on.
This guy, along with a few of his friends, took the pink squirrel of prey bounced on the bottom. This stream was around a foot and a half lower than when I fished it last November.
On Friday night, just before I stopped fishing, I hooked into what I though was a nice Brown Trout. After a short fight I pulled in this dumb sucker! I was pretty disappointed...
This was the big fish from yesterday. Not too big but certainly pretty! I hoped to arrive on the stream early enough (during the rain) so I'd get to fish the stream first. I pulled in behind two nice fellas who offered to let me fish with them. I fished a few other spots but caught up with them quickly and the three of us proceeded upstream. We didn't do too well but just before turning around on of the guys, Kyle, flipped his streamer in front of a nice brown and the fight was on!
For the size of the stream this fish was a trophy. After a quick pic he was released to provide another fisherman with delight. I decided against heading to another spot as we walked to the car but decided I'd go fishing today (Sunday).
I landed a ton of little rainbows and a decent number of smaller browns. All browns came on dries and all except one bow hit on the pink squirrel of prey. Oh, and one decent little brown came on a purple snocone zebra midge. By around 2:00 BWOs started coming off pretty strong and within a few minutes fish rose to the surface in a flurry! I targeted one nice trout that looked to be around 15-16 inches surfacing in a prime run. He took the RS2 twice, a sz 16 parachute adams once, and a deer hair parachute BWO dry three times. I missed the hook set every time! With frustration mounting I turned my attention to another decent riser.
This guy went aerial as soon as I set the hook. It was neat to see him launch out of the water but he didn't put up much fight after that. After a few pics he was returned to the drink. I took a few more casts at the other biggun but couldn't get him to budge. I instead targeted a few of the smaller trout surfacing all around. After pulling in a few more I called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment