Monday, February 15, 2016

Trip Report: Fishin' With Friends

Today I got out fishin' with my buddy Shaun and his friend Josh. They both wanted to catch some fishes so we headed to a local rainbow trout factory (not the hatchery)! We met up at around 9am with temps in the high teens. Josh is an avid fisherman but had never fly fished before. After a quick casting lesson we hit the stream. Josh followed a few simple pointers and immediately landed three or four good rainbows.
This was a pretty little bow that Josh caught. He ended the day with 7 fish to hand, not too shabby for his first time fly fishing.
 Shaun landed a few shy of that. He still had a respectable showing but I'm hoping that Josh gave him some crap on their way home! Shaun hasn't been fly fishing very long but he could have fooled me. He was throwing monster casts and achieving drag free drifts like a pro.
Of course I had to catch the big fish of the day! This brownie took a Pink Scud fished deep behind a Pink Squirrel of Prey. Josh caught all of his fish on the Pink Squirrel of Prey while Shaun found success with a variation of a flashback copper john. Fish were found toward the tail end of long flats and in the middle of fast runs. I again spotted no midges today.

Check out my www.whitewatervalleyflies.wordpress.com to purchase flies used on today's trip. And like Whitewater Valley Flies on Facebook!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like good day. Damn nice brown Clayton! Someday maybe we could cross paths and you could give me some pointers on nymphing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Dude, I'd love to do some fishing! I'll be busy for a while but I'll hit you up when I'm good to go!

    ReplyDelete