Sunday, June 19, 2016

Trip Report: Buildin' Rods and Catchin' Trouts

 
After getting a load of rain earlier in the week I decided to get a couple of new fly rods build to add to The Shop. I finished a 7ft 9in 3wt panfish/trout rod. As I type this I'm building another of the same size on the same blank because I'm loving it so much. I'm also working on a fast action 9ft 4wt and a medium/fast 9ft 5wt. Both of these rods are looking handsome! I've also got a good number of fly orders stacking up so today, even though it was sweltering hot, looked like my last day to get out fishing for a while.
With temps in the high 80's, bluebird skies, and a bad stain on the stream I decided to try my luck with the pink squirrel of prey like yesterday. Immediately, I snapped off on a decent fish. I continued upstream, landing smaller trout with consistency. I approached a promising looking hole, dropped my fly deeper on my indicator, and as soon as the fly hit the water the fight was on!
 This chunky brown put up a good fight. The picture doesn't do this fish justice as he measured just shy of 16 inches. He shot out of my hand as soon as I placed him back in the water. I continued to catch fish out of almost every hole. Most fish were pretty average until I hooked into this beautiful 14 incher.
After a good battle I released him to fight another day. The wind picked up about half way through today's outing but was no match for my medium/fast 4 weight! I only spotted three risers in around 3 1/2 hours of fishing. Afterward I headed to my favorite berry picking spot only to find that it'll be another week before there ready...

No comments:

Post a Comment