Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Trip Report: Clear Streams and Dry Flies

Yesterday and today I took a few hours off work to do a little fishin'! Yesterday was sunny with a calm breeze and a chill in the air. Temps peaked in the low 40's. The stream was crystal clear and fish were easily spooked. Each little breeze lifted handfuls of small (size 20) black midges off the water. Fish appeared to be eating dries and emergers. The bigger fish appeared to be eating skittering adult midges while smaller fish appeared to sip midges gently from the surface.
I landed a few on a black size 20 Matt's Midge before tying on a quill bodied mayfly emerger. I didn't spot any bwo's but fish didn't seem to mind eatin' the imitation.
I love the look of this fly! I started tying last fall to fish as a sulpher imitation and had great success on a heavily pressured body of water. I figured it would work great in spring and it didn't disappoint.
These fish were a blast on my 7' 9" three weight. Around 1 1/2 dozen came to hand in about 3 hours of fishin'. I missed as many as I brought to hand. The plan was not to get out fishing again until the weekend but after a few cancellations this afternoon I couldn't help but take a few hours of stream therapy. Skies were cloudy and the temp read 37 when I arrived on stream around 330pm. This stream was crystal clear and fish were plentiful.
Fish dimpled on top and immediately showed interest in the quill bodied mayfly emerger. Despite cold temperatures and no mayfly sightings I still managed around 20 fish over two hours. Most were quite small. About half were brookies and half were brownies. Although I plan to fish this weekend we'll see what happens. Saturday looks rainy and Sunday's forecast calls for 5-8 inches of snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment