Friday, October 5, 2018

A Couple Days This Week

I got out couple times this week and found fish in some streams seemingly done with the spawn while in others still in pre-spawn mode. I've fished a combination of nymph patterns and my wolley bugger-ish and had success with both. The five weight accompanied me on all adventures.
This fish had a strong little kype. I'm finding most of my fish in deep, froggy water pools and in the tail outs of deeper runs.
 I'm running low on flies and will have to tie up a few of my fall faves to effectively round out the extended season. Most of Minnesota's Driftless trout streams close on October 15th but a few in State Parks and in towns where fisherman and hunters won't overlap. It very likely protects spawning trout from being targeted and keeps people off there nests, called reds.
 On Tuesday evening storms threatened but never materialized directly above me. The rest of the week it's been spitting light rain with overcast skies. Temps have ranged from the low 80's to the mid 40's. I don't think it's impacted the fishing much as fish know winter's coming.
This was the biggest fish of the week. Probably around 16-17 inches. This fish seemed like a post spawn fish but maybe not. One easy way to differentiate spawners from pre- and post-spawn fish by looking at the fins for signs of damage. I plan to fish a bunch until the 15th so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment