Saturday, April 18, 2015

Trip Report: More Walking Than Fishing

Today I got out in the beautiful weather to do more walking than fishing. Today marks the beginning of the catch-n-keep Minnesota trout season. I expected crowds on all of the area streams but was dismayed when I even spotted fresh footprints a few miles into the back-country. It was still a great day to be out and I got to explore some highly inaccessible water.
After initially hiking for around an hour I began fishing. I rigged up a pink squirrel of prey and tossed it in and BLAMO.
This was the big fish of the day. Not so big but still fun on the 3wt. I hooked into a few nice fish but was unable to land 'em. One snapped me off above the indicator and I watched my bright yellow indicator bob around the deep pool where the wiley trout sought refuge. Eventually with some ingenuity I was able to retrieve the indicator.
 I fished throughout the early afternoon landing a few over a dozen trout, all browns except for one little brookie!
After deciding to turn back I rigged up a small streamer. Numerous fish rolled at the streamer but I only hooked up with one smaller brown. The hike out was brutal but after two hours of hiking through the woods and bluffs the sky opened up a little.
This bald eagle flew over my head by about 30 feet. I saw two other bald eagles and at one point there were some turkey vultures circling above my dehydrated body. I talked to a few people on my way out and it sounded like everybody at least caught a few! With colder temps and a little more rain in the forecast I hope to get out fishing a few times throughout the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment