Friday, April 3, 2015

Trip Report: Today Was A Good Day

This afternoon I got out for a quick 1 1/2 hour trip to a local stream known for low numbers but bigger fish. As I pulled up to the stream the winds seemed to pick up a little and the clouds broke. As I geared up the clouds disappeared and I began thinking it would be another tough day. I fished the first few sets of runs and riffles with no luck. I managed to spook a few decent looking fish from a prime run before heading further upstream.
I set the hook on what I expected to be a rock and to my surprise it shook! This chunky bow came to hand with little struggle. After releasing him I continued upstream. At a few prime spots I managed to find some average sized browns but nothing too great. I contemplated changed from the Pink Squirrel of Prey to a streamer but decided against that as most fish came from the middle of deep runs. I came to a spot where I know there are some good fish and set my fly to scrape the bottom.
Again assuming I'd caught a rock I set the hook tentatively. This chunker put up a short but exciting fight before I scooped him into my net. I know everyone says this but this picture doesn't do this fish justice. 
Neither does this one! I released him quickly and decided to try a streamer on my 3 wt. I managed to turn a number of decent sized fish but none took the hook. After a leisurely walk back to the car I decided to call it a day. I drove past a few good fishing spots on my way home and was surprised to find that most were occupied! That'll change when the undergrowth comes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment