Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Trip Report: Persistance

Got out fishin' today for a few hours after work. First I hit a spot that I did well at last fall. The water was so low and unbelievably clear that I had trouble sneaking up on the fishes. I saw at least a hundred fish but they'd scatter at my presence. I manage to catch three little brown trout at this spot before deciding to try a low numbers, big fish stream on the way home. I fished my way upstream finding no fish and no signs of fish. There was a strong midge hatch, maybe size 24, but I didn't see a single fish rise. I was hoping to spot some Blue Winged Olive (BWO) but there were none. I was ready to turn around, fishless, but decided to fish just one more hole. I caught a little brown on my first cast and on my second hooked into something more sizeable. 
He put up a great fight on my home built 7'6'' but after a few tense moments where he dove for cover he came to hand. Not to test fate I decided to leave after this fish. He made the trip worth it!
I've learned a few new things after building the last rod and now I'm itching to build another. I'm thinking about building a 5wt for bass, pike, and hucking hoppers into the wind. I'd like to do another short 3wt with the new techniques I've learned...and I'd like to do a 2wt, and a 4wt, and a 6wt etc!!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice fish. Taylor and I were down there fishing with Ryan Frick today. We'll have to get your phone number so you can join us next time. We ended up having a really good day fishing a larger river with water that had a little stain. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Ryan's blog. Well Done! We got a good amount of rain last night so hopefully the fish will respond well to that. We definitely need to get out fishing...

    ReplyDelete