Saturday, March 7, 2015

Trip Report: Not Quite March Madness

Temperatures read in the low 30's as I drove to a low clear spring creek a few miles from my house. I spotted this eagle while driving and pulled over to snap a few pics. I pulled up to the bridge hoping to see a slight stain in the water but the stream was crystal clear. I strapped on my snowshoes and tromped through the snow to the stream.
I tied on the pink squirrel of pray and tossed it in. I set the fly to scrape the bottom so when my indicator bounced a little I thought it was probably the stream bed. I set the hook expecting little more than a snag and wound up with my first fish of the day!
I figured a first cast fish could be a good sign, but it could be a bad omen. I managed to catch a few more but the fishing was slower than I hoped for. I changed my fly often today and managed to catch at least one fish on each of a midge emerger, parachute adams, pink squirrel of prey, and zebra midge.
The deep, wet snow stuck to my snowshoes making travel difficult. I returned to the car after four hours on the stream with sore hips, knees, and lower back. I couldn't really pin down a good location to target the fish with all coming from random spots. I also didn't see many fish spook. Temps will be rising steadily to reach the mid 50's early next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment