Sunday, March 29, 2015

Tying, Fishing, and Rod Building

Over the last week I tied a few hundred dollars worth of flies. Hopefully they fly off the shelf so I can put more money toward another fly rod build!
 I caught lots of flies on this pattern, the Stripped Quill Midge Emerger. The flies pictured on the bottom are size 24's! I haven't gotten out fishing much lately but yesterday afternoon I ran into a midge hatch on local trout stream. The midges coming off were no bigger than a 24. I tied one of the Emergers on and managed to hook into a few while flogging the water with my cheap line.
This was easily the best fish of my short outing. I watched a really nice brown make a b-line toward the fly before he swung and missed. The water in this area is running low and very clear. With warmer temperatures and a few rain events runoff will pick up making fishing really good!
I found a few cool rocks too. I'll have to keep my eyes at my feet any time I'm not casting. I did manage to work on my second fly rod build a little bit this weekend also. No pictures yet but it turned out better than my first attempt!

No comments:

Post a Comment