Sunday, March 15, 2015

Trip Report: A Quick Hour

Yesterday I went out for a quick half hour with my 3wt rod rigged with a long and light leader. I tied on a small silver streamer and immediately lost the fly to a decent sized brown. I rigged up again with a small gray streamer and after a few casts I felt a very brief bump and again, no fly! This time I saw a big 'ol mouth open and a huge flash. After missing this fish it didn't feel like I did anything wrong but more like my 3wt was outmatched for such chunky and aggressive fish. So last night I tied up some black leechy sculpiny pattern and decided to head out today after work.
I scooped up the wife after work and headed to a stream only 10 minutes from home. After taking a few casts with no results I started to get discouraged, however remembering that streamer fishing usually yields fewer but larger fish. I continued by casting at the most likely lies before hooking into this guy in a shallow run.
This guy sucked the fly down pretty good but it was no problem gently backing it out of his gullet. We turned around and headed home after this leaving me wanting more! Stay tuned: I hope to get out for a few hours after work tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see that someone else other than myself has the word, "gullet" in their vocabulary. Nice Report!

    ReplyDelete