Friday, March 20, 2015

Trip Report: First Fly Rod Build Success

Last week I purchased a 7'6" 3 wt. fast action fly rod blank, rod components, some thread, and some epoxy with the hope of finding an inexpensive way to expand my arsenal of fly rods. The materials totaled $80.00 and it took some time researching on the web to make sure I had all I needed. The only big mistake I made was purchasing a reel seat that was designed kinda funky but I glued a Canadian quarter to cover the end and everything is fine! Also I used two colors of thread and for some reason the epoxy dried funny on the brown wraps.
 Notice the quarter on the bottom end of the rod! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out considering the price and the speed with which I was able to complete it. Next I want to do a heavier weighted rod, maybe 6 wt for fishing with streamers. I finished the rod last night and couldn't wait to get out fishing! After work today I rigged up the homespun 3 wt and headed to a nearby stream. I started by fishing a heavy nymph through the riffles. That produced a few small browns. I rigged a little deeper and hooked into this guy.
He put up a great fight on the lighter rod requiring me to chase him around 50 feet down stream. After a few leaps for freedom I was able to scoop him into the net. 
 These pictures don't quite do these fish justice! They both came after I switched to a sz 24 zebra midge emerger. These flies were tied bigger on the hook so they appear as a size 20 would. Midges actively rose any time the sun peaked out from behind the clouds.
 I was impressed with the rods ability to handle such strong fish while so gently delivering the fly to the water. Casting was smooth and the rod had good backbone. Building the rod was way easier than I expected and it performed beyond my expectations!

4 comments:

  1. Nice job on the rod build! What was the blank?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ryan, the blank was an IM7 from Hook and Hackle dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. I currently have all the parts of my bamboo rod being assembled by professionals because I didn't have the balls to do it myself. Is this the start of the Clay-T-Bug Fly Rod Company?

    ReplyDelete