Friday, March 13, 2015

Trip Report: Spring Hike

With the beautiful weather we have had lately I've been itching to get out fishing again. Today was the day. My first choice was a larger spring creek that's close by. Water levels were higher than they've been for a while and visibility varied throughout the day and by location. I hopped in the car and checked out a few new spots on this stream before heading to a spot I've been dreaming about since fall.
I followed footprints until just before this spot. I caught a few fish before this point but things turned on when I found fish that haven't seen a fly for perhaps a year. I really enjoy fishing along the cliffs.
This chunky brownie came on a pink squirrel of prey with a tungsten bead. He came just after I fought a nice (18-19") to hand. I held the 6x tippet between my fingers while trying to get my camera out and he flopped, snapping the line. I was frustrated but this pretty fish made it hurt less. I also caught a nice one but he flopped out of my hand before I could snap a pic.
 I found fish holding in deep runs, pools, and at the head of a few of the deepest runs. Most came on the pink squirrel of prey but I busted out the tungsten cone headed streamer and got a few to chase it.
 This guy pulled hard but was no match for my Okuma fly rod. I didn't spot any eagles today but the scenery was spectacular. 
Although visibility wasn't great the stream turned a chalky greenish color that reminded me of the Flathead River in Montana. 
I hiked in 20 minutes before I started fishing. I checked the time before beginning my death march back to the car and found it took 1 1/2 hrs. I would guess I hiked at least 6 miles in and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment