Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Trip Report: After Work Delight

Yesterday I took a few hours of vacation time to chase trout on a delightful stream that lies not too far from work. It was breezy which made casting hard but air temps were comfortable. The snow is gone now and the stream was clear and flowing well. The sun was muted by light wispy clouds which made approaching this tiny creek a little easier.
 This stream is heavily improved and chock full of eager brown trout. I began by tying on a size 16 San Juan Worm and prodding some of the shallower runs. This worked well. Fish were pretty spread out but all hungry for the worm.
 These guys along with many others took the worm with abandon. When I arrived on stream there were some baetis mayflies coming off the surface. I considered switching flies but fish didn't rise with enough consistency to spur the change.
 This chunky brown put up a good fight in such skinny water. I spooked a few bigger ones but landed none larger. At around 330pm I felt something on my neck and found a decent sized stonefly! This thing was no little black winter stonefly but a solid 1 1/2 inch fly. I considered trying a Gray Skittering Caddis dry fly but again didn't see fish rising with enough consistency. After calling it a day I returned home to find this!!!
I figure if I'm going to sell fly rods I'll have to build a sexy one for use (advertisement) on stream.

No comments:

Post a Comment