Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Trip Report: Couple Days, Couple Fish

On Saturday I got out fishing with a new friend. We put in a few miles to access a pretty remote (for Minnesota) stretch of stream. Air temps reached the high 40's during the heat of the day and water temps hovered in the low 40's. Snow melted off throughout the day leaving a decent stain on the water. After hiking down a pretty steep bluff we hit the water. I started fishing streamers and landed a few.
This decent brownie ate the buffalo streamer fished really deep in the pool pictured behind me. I call it the toilet bowl! I know there are some bigger fish in there but not for me on this day. By around 1pm a decent baetis hatch began. I switched up my rig and tossed a size 16 CDC BWO Emerger to the biggest fish I spotted rising.
After launching a massive cast this guy came up and gently sipped my fly from the surface. Notice how much line is downstream in the picture. Massive cast!
 After hiking on a bit I turned back to see a landscape that reminded me of my trout filled adventures in Montana. After soaking it in for a while I tossed the dry fly to this chunky trout!
We didn't keep track today but probably landed two dozen between the two of us. We were able to entice a few really nice trout to chase the streamer but couldn't haul in anything over 16 inches. My fish were landed on the buffalo streamer and CDC BWO. I will definitely hit this spot again before it becomes too overgrown, perhaps to chase trout and morels!

No comments:

Post a Comment