Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Trip Report: Caddis Madness

I got out fishing from 7 to 9 last night and 6 to 9 tonight. It was caddis madness! Caddis were buzzing around the surface, dipping down to lay eggs when I arrived. Fish were actively feeding under clouds of skittering caddis. I tied on a size 14 Gray Skittering Caddis and immediately began catching 'em.
 Trout fed in riffles, runs, and over deeper pools. They were everywhere! Some fish preferred the fly dead drifted while others preferred a gentle twitch. On my way back to the car I cast the fly down stream and pulled it back up which elicited a number of strikes.
 These were the big fish of the day yesterday. It was pretty cool watching such nice fish hit the dry fly! As I walked away from the stream fish continued to rise. All I could think about at work today was catching more good trout on dry flies.
 Again fish rose all evening to dry flies and the size 14 Gray Skittering Caddis took all fish! At one point I drifted my fly over a fish that I sat and watched for some time. He launched out of the water and when I set the hook felt nothing. Snapped!
After catching another load of fish this evening I spotted one decent riser on my walk back to the car. I tied on a Skittering Caddis and launched in a few feet upstream of where the trout appeared. He shot out of the water, I set the hook, and the fight was on. He put up a good one but he lost the battle!

Stay tuned: While I have a ton of flies to tie and a few rods to build I'll be getting out a few times over the next week or two.

1 comment:

  1. It's a beautiful thing when a good sized brown elects to exit the water. Were you north or south of I-90? I'm headed south of I-90 tonight until Sunday morning, staying at Maple Springs Campground.

    ReplyDelete