Saturday, June 18, 2016

Trip Report: Hungry Fishes

After getting a few inches of rain at the beginning of the week I made a point of trying to find the first day of fishability on a local stream with hopes that bigger fish would be eating. What I found was just that! I arrived on stream at 6pm and fished until 830pm. Temps were in the mid 80's and skies were partly cloudy. Upon my arrival I tied on a Pink Squirrel of Prey and had at 'em.
 This nice trout came after I patiently fished a hole that has never offered up such a good fish. After a good fight he swam into my net. I'd guess he measured around 16 inches. I fished my way upstream catching some smaller fish here and there before losing a really nice trout to a deep undercut bank.
I wasn't about to let this guy do the same. I really put the screws to him with my Whitewater Valley Fly Rod (4 weight) and was able to steer him away from trouble. The pic doesn't do this fish justice but I'd guess he was around 16-17 inches. After returning him to the depths I continued.
This pointy faced brownie put up a great fight after sucking up the Pink Squirrel of Prey. I landed multiple fish out of most spots as the cloudiness of the water shielded my presence. 
 I landed at least two dozen fish today with most measuring between 11-13 inches with a few larger ones. There was steady caddis activity but very few fish rose to flies until around 8pm. I also landed one decent brookie but he flipped into the water before I could snap a quick pic.

Stay tuned: I hope to get out fishing tomorrow for a little bit but I have a number of flies to tie and rods to build so time may be limited:(

No comments:

Post a Comment