Saturday, August 27, 2016

Trip Report: Finally Got Him (and his buddy)

With the wife out of town I decided to spend most of my weekend afield. I got out last night for a little while on a stream close to home and found the river in great shape. Streams in the area are running full with a great greenish-blue stain. I decided to work on my streamer game and had OK luck.
 Today I fished two new steams that endured significant flooding a few weeks ago. The streams were running clear and chocked full of small fish. I landed around two dozen before shifting my focus to a stream I know holds some monsters. One of these monsters snapped my line as we battled two weeks ago so I decided to try and get him again. I arrived on this stream around 230 pm and headed toward his lair. After rigging up a pink squirrel of prey I began testing the waters. After landing a few smaller fish I set the hook and saw a huge flash!
This chunky beast took the squirrel of prey and went berserk! He swam upstream, turned around, and launched at least three feet out of the water before crashing down on the surface. He darted toward a boulder but I was able to turn him. He again launched out of the water and dove into the weeds. I held the 6 weight high in the air and gently teased him out of the weeds. He took a few smaller runs before I was able to skate him close. With a quick stab I thrust the net under him and he was caught! From the back of the reel seat to the top of the cork grip measures 11 inches. I didn't measure the fish but I'd estimate him at 20". After a short recovery he shot out of my hand in back to the depths. I was shaking! I'm pretty sure this is the guy that snapped me off within my reach two weeks ago! After a little break to bask in the glory of the moment I added an orange scud dropper and launched another few casts.
 This guy took the scud and shot upstream before I could catch a glance. I new I hooked into something sizable. He took me to the reel and instead of darting around like trout tend to do he only ran upstream. I held my rod tip high to avoid boulders and other obstacles but this fish only wanted to run one way. At first I struggled to make headway but after a few pushes upstream he succumbed to the sheer power of the 6 weight. As soon as he got close enough I plunged the net beneath him and hoisted him out of the water in victory! Again, no measurement but I'd estimate this fish at around 20". After a few pics I let him revive and released him to the depths to compare experiences with his little buddy. Again shaking with excitement I decided to call it a day! What a day!
 On my walk back to the car I thought about the number of decent fish I lost last year on the three and four weights and decided that I'm not going back to the lighter rods any time soon. I doubt I would have been able to land either of these fish with anything lighter than the rod I used. I also recently switched from using 5x to 4x tippet. The first fish came on the 4x and the second came on 5x which I'm still using for dropper flies.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome day. When fishing streamers I usually use a 7 weight or a heavy five weight with 12 pound flourocarbon for tippet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done!! I'm jealous Clayton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could have more days like that on the stream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm speechless... and drooling a little!

    I'd have been over the rainbow to catch any of the four your started with. My jaw dropped when I saw the photos of the two "Big 'uns". Beasts!

    ReplyDelete