Sunday, August 21, 2016

Trip Report: Weekend of Fishin'

Yesterday I was itching to get out fishin' but with recent rains I wasn't sure my destination would be fishable. Upon arrival I decided to give it a go regardless of a dark stain on the water. I tied on a funky little streamer and headed upstream.
The walk in was tough but worth the effort. I approached the first spot and let 'er rip. I landed a few smaller trout before hooking into a nice one. I steered him around for a brief moment before the hook popped out and the hook flew out of the water and high into the tree behind me. I re-rigged with a slightly different streamer and bam.
This trout measured around 15 inches. He put up an ok fight but was slightly disappointing after losing the last fish. I landed a few more before calling it a day. When I got home I texted a co-worker and he was down to fish today. We got together around 9 and arrived on stream shortly after. I tied on a pink butted pheasant tail with a san juan worm dropper and bam!
 Waters had cleared significantly over the last 24 hours. I saw this fish as soon as I set the hook and was able to steer him around some obstacles. He took the san juan worm. We landed a few more small fish before moving to another stream.
 This stream had only a little cloud to it. I could see fish dart around with every step. Unfortunately they weren't interested in my hopper. I landed a few browns including one around 14 inches before heading upstream to chase brookies.
This was the biggest brookie that I caught. They took an assortment of the san juan worm, scud, pink squirrel of prey, and brassie. Between the two of us we must have caught 20 brookies! On out way back to the car we heard a loud growl from the trees around 15 feet away. We kept moving and spotted nothing but I swear it must've been a bear or mountain lion or some kind of freakbeast! We made it out alive to fish another day!

1 comment: