Sunday, March 26, 2017

Trip Report: Fishin' With Tim in the Woods

Today my friend Tim and I got up early and hit a local trout stream in the rain. Temps never got above the mid 40's but we both made it through the day comfortable, for the most part. I got a pretty significant hole in my waders so my feet got a little wet. I can't wait for wet wading weather!
Right off the bat I picked up this little tiger trout! A tiger trout is the sterile offspring of a brook trout and a brown trout. This was only my second tiger. As we continued upstream flat waters gave way to fairly constant rippling. We noticed a ton of midges and a few spare Mayflies. We both changed flies a lot.
This decent trout sipped a quill bodied mayfly emerger from the surface.
This guy took down a size 20 Griffiths Gnat. He put up a solid fight before swimming into the net. The trout pictured above looks like he got hit by and eagle, otter, or heron.
 
 As the afternoon proceeded we continued to nail 'em on various emergers and dries. Between the two of us we tried WD40's, Comparadun BWO's, Parachute BWO's, Zebra Midges, midge emergers, Matt's Midge, and Quill Bodied Mayflies. We also landed a few on Scuds early in the day.
 Tim landed this beauty on a dry! At one nice run that was flush with fish Tim pointed out a fish surfacing no more than 10 feet in front of us. He told me to catch it and on my first cast the fish came and sipped it off the surface, maybe my favorite fish of the day. I hope to get out again soon but we'll see what work, family obligations, and the weather have to say about it!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun. I had no idea you owned any waders, though... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Chris, I still was wet wading! Big 'ol hole in the waders...

      Delete
  2. Looks like a productive day. Love days where trout are eagerly feeding. Beautiful fish as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, congrats on the tiger! I have yet to find one.

    ReplyDelete