Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Trip Report-From the Sand to the Driftless

Yesterday my adventure to the Central Sands region of Wisconsin continue as I chased trout around without my camera. All my wading left it temporarily out of commission. I tied into one 14-15 inch trout that I failed to land and caught around a dozen smaller browns. My buddy and I took his new boat "The Guppy" out on the big river to play with. It was a beautiful night but we didn't catch anything. I got up this morning and hit the shore on the Wisconsin before my trip back to the Driftless.
This bass was fun to fight. I had an audience as I fished along a river walk. After landing a few bass and having a bunch of people stop to tell me their stories about fly fishing I tied into a real beast. I was fishing a 2.5 inch gray bunny leech. About 15 feet from shore my line tightened and I set the hook into something thick. After the beast realized he was hooked he took off. The fish hit the surface once briefly and I could see it was a muskie. It was through all of my fly line in no time. I was nervously watching my reel as the backing spun. I tightened the drag a few times but I wasn't using a heavy leader and I didn't want to horse him too much. After a mad dash my backing disappeared off the spool and with a sharp bend of my rod the 8 lb test broke and the rod straitened. The fish must've been 40+ inches! A few people had stopped to watch and everybody was disappointed he didn't come to hand. After landing a few more fish I decided to head home to mow the lawn. As I headed back I decided to put off the lawn and go trout fishin!
I started off right were I left off on Sunday. Slayed 'em. The Pink Squirrel of Prey fished low and slow was key. Most fish came from soggy, muddy, deep water and takes were subtle.
No monsters today but a great average size to these fish! When we get a week or two of cold nights a sense of urgency comes over all of the woodland and water dwelling creatures. They start to put on the feed bag in preparation for a long and cold winter.
After landing this beast I decided to call it a day. Tomorrow I plan to do some kayak fishing with another friend, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment