Thursday, August 31, 2017

Trip Report: Yakin' the Root

Yesterday a friend and I got up early and fished till late out of the Kayaks. Last time I did this trip the caddis and mayflies came off and fish rose consistently. Yesterday was even better! We pushed off by 9am and I was on to fish right away. Most fish were 8-10 inches but the colors were spectacular.
 We fished from the kayaks and got out to wet wade frequently. Fishing the wet wading was easy but fly fishing out of the kayak proved a little more challenging. After catching a few on the Quill Bodied Mayfly Emerger I tried the Pink Squirrel of Prey fished under an indicator. No luck. I switched between a Gray Skittering Caddis and the Quill Bodied Mayfly Emerger for the rest of the day.
 All of the nicer fish I caught were around this size, maybe 12-13 inches. We caught mostly brown trout but also landed a few rainbow trout. The battle they put on is more ballistic than brown trout.
 The rainbows were all around the same size. Rainbows are stocked in this river and these two were probably stocked this spring judging by their fins. When rainbows are freshly stocked their fins are still warn off from the concrete raceways at the hatchery where they are reared. These fish have healed fins. If they hold over through next spring there fins will look healthy.
This brown came while fishing from the boat! My buddy fished with spinning gear and landed a few on a Brown Trout Rapala and tried out the fly rod, landing 2 or 3 on the fly. I must've landed at least 40-50 trout by the time we pulled the Yaks ashore after 7pm. It was a blast to catch so many fish on dry flies and I can't wait to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment