Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Trip Report: The Old Hunt 'n Fish

Yesterday, today, and tomorrow I planned to hunt-fish-hunt from sun up to sun down! Yesterday worked out well and although I didn't get a deer the fishing was great. I woke up to 20-30 mph winds and temps in the 20's so I decided to sleep in and spend the late morning and early afternoon raiding some deer beds I found yesterday. I only sat for a little while but with gusts hitting 50 mph I decided to hunt for only 2 hours.
This rock on the left acted as my perch yesterday and today. I had a great view the trough pictured above and a steep ravine that funneled deer through about 30 feet below me! It should be a good spot, there was evidence of deer activity everywhere.
I arrived at the parking area and immediately found a familiar face! My buddy Eric was suiting up and after some brief preparation we headed to a hole near a bridge. We strong armed casts into stiff winds and immediately tied into some trout. Eric used a fly rod I built him a few years ago and some flies he tied. I used my 3wt and a combination of my flies and a fly tied by Eric's girlfriend. We call it the Pink Panther. Although the wd40 started off strong the Pink Panther earned the distinction of fly of the day.
This was the most colorful fish of the day. Eric landed at least two dozen fish and I brought around the same amount to hand. Even though the winds were strong and the deer were hiding it turned out to be a great day for fishin'! Stay tuned, I hope to do the same tomorrow but hopefully with better hunting than fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment