Saturday, November 11, 2017

Trip Report: Small Flies, Big Fish

s This bridge is very photogenic. Two kids stood on the bridge just like my brother and I would have done growing up, spying for trout from above.
I arrived on stream at 10am with air temps near 30 and cloudy skies. I headed to a few spots in the park today and found cooperative fish at every stop. Fish ate the gray zebra midge, disco midge, quill body midge emerger, and matt's midge dry. Fish were most interested in size 22 and 24 flies but I managed a few on up to size 16's.
This rosy cheeked rainbow took a gray zebra midge bounced along the bottom under an indicator. I've found that in some of the more heavily pressured areas of the parks it's best to use small flies and light tippets. It is important to make sure your fly is very close to the bottom as such heavily pressured fish will often only bite if the fly comes within five or six inches of its face. Having a drag free drift matters as well, although giving the fly a few twitches at the right time often elicits a strike too.
 This handsome rainbow trout was the only fish landed on a dry fly. He took a sz 20 matt's midge dead drifted perfectly through the foam line. I tricked four fish into hitting but only landed the one.
This stout little guy came from an unassuming lie and put up a great fight. He took a size 24 quill bodied midge emerger tied on a light emerger hook. I had to nurse him to be sure the light hook didn't straighten out.
 Fish came to hand pretty consistently throughout the late morning and early afternoon. There was never any really consistent surface activity but fish remained happy to take flies subsurface.
This silvery bugger took a purple size 22 disco midge. A hole lot more fish came to hand including a few little brown trout. In case anyone wonders the reel seat and grip on this fly rod measures 10.75". I estimate that the biggest fish caught today may have hit 15 or 16". It was nice to get out again since I'll be hunting, working, and doin' family stuff over the next few weekends.

All flies used today were tied by me and are available at Whitewater Valley Flies. I fished with a 7' 9" three weight fly rod that I build. Those are also available @wwvalleyflies.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome work! Makes me want to try small flies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eddie, I've learned that the most important part of fishing small flies is having faith in the method. I guess that's not any different than fishing other methods!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Clayton, it's J-ROD your old friend from Allenton. Your brother, pointed me here. Awesome reports and blogs from the few I read. Makes me want to get rid of my desk job in Milwaukee and my house in Slinger and come join you. I liked what you said about the bridge in this blog. Reminds me of that old bridge in Allenton by Hwy 33 where we fished a few times on the Rock River. I still owe you a Mepps 3 spinner from the one I lost of yours at the Kohlsville Millpond. I really miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jared, glad you like the blog! Those were the days. More work, less fun now:)

    ReplyDelete