Sunday, March 18, 2018

Trip Report: Brookies and Chocolate Milk

After checking out a few medium sized streams this morning and finding nothing more than chocolate milk I spend the morning and early afternoon with the wifey while she's on the mend from a cold. On the way home from picking up groceries we checked out a small stream in the area and to my surprise it was running high and dirty, but fishable! I brought the groceries in and put 'em away before hopping in the Subi and heading to the stream. I arrived on stream around 1pm and tied on a size 16 San Juan worm.
I immediately tied into brookies. Even though I mostly land browns out of this stretch in clear, sunny conditions today I landed a ton of brookies. Some nice ones too!
 As the afternoon went on the stream become more and more cloudy. The fish didn't seem to mind and the brookies kept coming.
This guy came from a shallow run. You can tell by his pale appearance that he spends most of his time in clear, shallow water. I noticed plenty of midges coming off but saw no risers. I tied on a small gray zebra midge with a sunken size 20 matt's midge trailed behind.
This was the nicest brookie of the day! After around 230 the fishing slowed way down as more and more dirty water flooded into the stream from the surrounding fields. I managed to land a few more fish before calling it a day.
 By the time I headed home around 5pm the stream was completely unfishable. Around 30 trout came to hand. Multiple brookies came from each run and I managed around 7-8 browns too. I briefly hooked one on a streamer that must've been around 16 or 17 inches. I ran into two nice fellas on the stream today. It was nice to bs about fishing and now I've got a few new spots to check out!

No comments:

Post a Comment