Friday, March 30, 2018

Trip Report: Jesse and Hog Johnson

Today My buddy and I ventured to a valley far away from our usual haunts. Neither of us have fished this particular stretch of water but I'd heard good things. We were not disappointed! After that stream we hit two others very briefly. We arrived on stream around 830am and immediately tied into a few, mine on streamers and his on a Rapala.
 Fish were aggressive. I tied into a good number of trout but missed some memorable strikes. After a while I tied on a small unweighted San Juan worm. Many fish came to sniff it but only a few would commit.
 After a bunch of hiking a quite a few trout we came upon a long, slow pool which screamed "big trout water"! I was casing and Jesse let me know he hooked into a biggun. I grabbed the net out of his backpack and headed into the drink with the beast, tasked with netting.
Hog Johnson came to the surface and flailed around for a bit. He didn't take any long runs which suggests that he know what he was doing. After a brief and uneventful battle he came to hand and after a few quick pics he was returned to the drink strong. Shortly after landing this beast we headed to another spot.
At this spot BWO's came off as soon as we arrived on stream. I tied on a quill bodied mayfly emerger and immediately tied into trout. After a half dozen or so came to hand the hatch died off.
 I continued to land a few on dries including some that put a good bend in the Whitewater Valley Flies 7' 9" three weight. We wrapped up the afternoon checking out a few streams on the way home. We found cars at a bunch of access points so people are getting out and chasing trout. Check out Whitewater Valley Flies for your fly and fly rod needs!

No comments:

Post a Comment