Sunday, April 15, 2018

Trip Report: Less Miserable Trout

With temps below freezing streams continue to drop and clear up. I chose to fish in an area that was stocked with some larger than average rainbows last fall. It snowed the whole time I was out making for a beautiful backdrop.
This valley was protected from the wind. The stream had a brownish stain and clarity of around 1.5 feet. I hoped to find some bwo's but only spotted one riser over the two and a half hours I spent on stream.
A few smaller fish came to had before this chunky bow took the size 16 gray zebra midge. I trailed a san juan worm behind the midge and fish also took that fly.
 After landing around a dozen trout I headed over to talk to a gentleman that had just pulled up. He reported around 18 inches north of the cities. He and some friends/family have a get together every spring around opening day where they converge on the area and fish hard for a few days. I felt bad they didn't get better weather although fishing was good and the scenery was some of the best of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment