Saturday, August 9, 2014

Trip Report: A Long Walk

Today I took a long walk into the woods in search of trout. Armed with some newly tied flies I focused on weedy areas and undercut banks. A few fish came from under weedy patches but most came from under the banks.
This chunky fella came from came out from under the weeds to hit a small nymph that is a cross between a brassie, a bird of prey, and a prince nymph. He pulled me under the bank and through the weeds but I was able to steer him to shore. I lost one really nice fish when he pulled me under the bank and rubbed the hook off onto a submerged log. 
A few little fish came out of this run. The beast mentioned above came just downstream of here. 
 A few pools ahead of this one I cast my fly in with an indicator and a decent brown hit the nymph and, powering out of the water, also hit the indicator. I set the hook and the line immediately snapped. The theme for today: Lost the bigguns!

No comments:

Post a Comment