Friday, August 15, 2014

Trip Report: Trout Hunting

I got up early this morning for some trout hunting! After saddling up my fly rod with a size black size 18 trico dry fly I stalked my way upstream from a popular access on a popular river.
These trout are well educated. After missing the hookset on a number of fish I landed this beast. It pulled my line into the weeds before diving under the bank. After a short but exciting fight I netted it and snapped a quick picture before releasing it.
 After catching a bunch of unremarkable little browns this bespeckled fella fell for the trico. After a good fight, a quick photo, and a short pep talk he returned to the depths from which he came! I spent most of the day trudging through muddy banks and soldiering through thick stands of wild parsnip and nettles. On my way home I decided to try one more spot.
I approached the point of access and immediately spotted fish rising. After a short conversation with some fellas preparing to fish downstream I headed upstream. I hopped into the water and began roll casting my trico below the overhanging branches. Withing ten minutes I landed five average sized browns. I missed as many as I landed. Continuing upstream I found a pasture section where the above photo was taken. A few more fish succumbed to the power of the trico before I decided to try to nymph up a bigger fish. 
No larger fish but this beautiful brown fell for the bird of prey. I love the name of that fly! A few more browns came to hand before I decided to retire for the afternoon. Upon returning home I headed strait to the vise to tie up some flies for Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment