Sunday, December 27, 2015

Back at the Vise

I worked a bunch over the last few days so I stayed around home rather than visiting family and friends for Christmas. I've been on call as well so while I could not fish, this left me a decent amount of time to tie flies!
 I call this fly the Pink Butted Pheasant Tail. These are tied on a size 14 curved caddis hook with a 1/8 tungsten bead. I used this fly a few times in fall and had outstanding luck. In heavily pressured waters the fish see this fly and can't resist!
 This is my size 14 deer hair Skittering Caddis. I cast this fly down stream and twitch it up. Often the fish will make a noticeable wake as they chase the fly!
 This fly is a size 18 Griffiths Gnat. I've never used these much but I hope to test 'em out over the winter. After tying a few I couldn't stop so I wasted the entire 100 pkg of hooks. Next I'll continue tying skittering caddis and, once I get hooks, the size 20 Matts Midge.

Stay Tuned: I have off work tomorrow so I hope to chase some trouts in the blizzard (we're expecting around 10 inches of snow and 30-40 mph winds). Or maybe I'll stay in and tie:)

No comments:

Post a Comment