Tuesday, December 22, 2015

More Tying Than Fishing!

This is where the magic happens. Next to this tv tray converted to a portable tying desk I have two cabinets full of tying materials. I've been tying for a few hours almost every day after work and below is some of my progress. I hope to tie a few hundred more flies and build a couple rods before getting things in order to start a small business/fly shop website. It'll be pretty basic at first but hopefully it will provide as a decent little part time gig!
 This pattern is called the Hippie Stomper. These are tied in size 14 and worked very well last summer and early fall. They're supposed to look like a cricket, hopper or other terrestrial.
 This fly is my pink squirrel of prey. It's a bird of prey caddis with a pink collar. I also plan to tie up a ton of pink butted pheasant tails the same heavy tungsten bead. These flies get down deep and hook lots of fish!
 I haven't fished scuds much but they are always mentioned among the areas top winter fly patterns. I hope to test these out soon. These are tied on sz 14 hooks. I hope to tie some in size 16 as well.
 I don't fish the brassie much but when I do it catches fish. Pictured are brassies in size 16 and 18.
The wd40 is another fly that I rarely fish but have found very effective. The grey ones work well during a midge emergence and the olive and grey work well as a BWO imitation. These are tied on size 16 and size 18 hooks.
 The pheasant tail emerger is a fly I have not yet tried. They look pretty awesome though! These are tied on size 18 and size 16 hooks.
 I've always had great luck on these size 24 stripped quill zebra midge emergers. If I can find more size 24 emerger hooks I'll tie up a bunch of black parachute midge/trico emergers. Last summer I killed 'em on the midge/trico emerger but they're really hard to tie!
 This fly killed 'em any time there were mayflies around. I've been enjoying working with CDC.
Of course I've also tied a ton of zebra midges! I have a few other piles of flies laying around and in the coming weeks I'm going to focus on a few more nymph flies and some midge dry flies. Stay tuned for more info on when I open up shop!

1 comment: