Sunday, April 10, 2016

Some Fishin' and Some Buildin'

Over the last few weeks I've been gathering materials to build myself a sweet fly rod. I already have a four weight but wanted to build something that catches the eye! I meticulously scoured the net for materials and settled on building a 9 foot 4 weight.
 The epoxy finished setting this afternoon so I haven't gotten a chance to fish with it yet. I can't wait!
I also recently purchased a very inexpensive 9 foot 8/9 weight blank, a cheaper grip, and reel seat. I spent $30.00 on those materials and have the rest of the components which were scavenged from broken rods that people have sent my way. This evening I finished wrapping the guides and within the next few days it should be finished. It'll be a great Steelhead/Bass/Pike rod!

In between work, bouts of crappy weather, tying flies, and building fly rods I've found a few opportunities to hit the water. Some friends were in town over the weekend and we hit two great spots. 
The weather was a little on the chilly side still. We fished with a bunch of different kinds of nymphs. Hares ear, pheasant tail, and san juan worms had the best showing. We spotted intermittent risers although tons of midges fluttered along the surface unmolested all day. Fish were pretty spread out too.
 I rolled a couple decent fish. I kept thinking I was hung up on the bottom. Every time I'd tell myself to just set the hook hard going forward...then I'd do it again.
This guy was my big fish of the day. Caught on the San Juan Worm. It was great to get out with friends. The weather looks to change for the better toward the end of the week so I'll definitely get out to try the new 4 and 8/9 weights!

No comments:

Post a Comment