Thursday, April 21, 2016

Trip Report: Skittering Caddis

I got out of work a few hours early this afternoon so I headed to the nearest stream hoping to find some fish rising to caddis. Temps measured in the mid 60's and winds blew around 10mph. I began fishing under the sun but clouds quickly moved in.
I found a few fish feeding actively on the surface but the hatch was not going strong enough for fast action. I landed a few on the dead drifted skittering caddis as I worked upstream including two nice fish that I failed to land.
 These two were the big fish of the day. They both put up a good fight. I'm still getting used to fishing with such a fast action rod and had a little difficulty playing them in such tight quarters. After fishing my way upstream I turned around and skittered the caddis through riffles and runs and through deep pools (like an emerger, kinda). I landed the majority of my fish this way including this guy who smiled for the camera!
In around two hours I landed 18 trout. The biggest measured around 14 inches with most between 10-12. All ate a dark gray size 16 skittering caddis dry fly. I've got some work to do around the house this weekend but I'll definitely get out for a little fishing on Saturday. Hopefully the caddis will still be poppin'.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! I'm ready for the small streams again. Three weeks until we park the Mobile Hotel® down in Fillmore County, then six weekends of camping and fishing... I'm relaxing already.

    Any Hendrickson's yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen any Hendrickson's yet but I've heard rumors. Three weeks in Fillmore Cty sounds like a great plan. Have fun and good luck!

    ReplyDelete