Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Trip Report: Hatches Galore

Today I got out for a few hours of fishing after work. When I arrived at the stream there was little surface activity so I tied on the Pink Squirrel of Prey and began prodding the depths for trouts. I pulled in a bunch of little browns and stocker bows before finally landing a decent fish.
This trout came from the very head of a fast run. I found a few decent fish holding tight to the bottom and close to cover. After hauling in a few more fish I tied on a CDC caddis and caught a few more. By around 700 caddis were coming off strong but only a few fish seemed to notice. I walked back toward the car to a spot that always has good surface activity. By the time I arrived at this spot March Browns and Baetis were coming off in full swing. I tied on a size 20 CDC emerger in a pale orange and immediately began landing (and missing) fish.
 After landing a number of 12-14 inch fish and missing many more I began targeting one fish that looked to be pretty decent. I missed him three times on the CDC emerger before trying one more fly. I tied on a blackish brown Comparadun pattern and tossed it just ahead of the fish. The fly drifted a few inches before disappearing into the mouth of this fella.
After catching this fish I decided to call it a day. In total I caught around 30 fish with most measuring around 8-12 inches. I missed two decent feeling fish and most of the trout caught nymphing were just barely hooked through the beak. I used the 8 foot 5 weight and after fishing it some more I think I'm gonna like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment