Saturday, June 27, 2015

Trip Report: The Long Road

This morning I headed south to explore some valleys that I haven't yet fished. After a longer than usual drive I arrived stream side before 9am. The stream looked beautiful.
Unfortunately the water was chocolate colored and I only found one dinky trout for my efforts. I planned to hit this stream and another a few miles away. I decided against fishing the nearby stream assuming it would also be running thick. I pointed my car west and drove on to another spot I've never fished.
This stream was also a little off colored but I managed to scrounge up a respectable number of little trouts!
This guy came to hand after a short fight. His lighter back color is a result of him living in a section of stream with a lighter colored substrate. 
 After catching around a dozen browns and one little brookie I decided to stop at another stream on my way home. I hoped this stream would have good clarity. I pulled up, parked, and headed downstream to my favorite section.
The stream was flowing pretty clear upstream but throughout this section there were cows everywhere! I decided to hoof it back towards the car for a drink of water before heading on a longer walk to a secluded stretch upstream.
 I hooked into a good number of smaller browns including the spotty fella pictured above. I also tied into some broad shouldered stocker rainbow trout! This guy looks like he was probably stocked a while ago. I continued upstream and found a few more decent browns.
After this guy I headed back to the car while I took stock of today's outing. I hoped to find some good new water but results were inconclusive. Temps hovered in the mid 70's to 80 degrees and skies were partly cloudy. I hoped to find some fish rising but I only spotted one little fish surface. All fish were caught on the Pink Squirrel of Prey at intermittent depths. Fish appeared to be spread out. I caught around 30 fish today with most measuring around 12 inches. I also managed to catch a brown, brook, and rainbow trout, and a chub, the MN Grand Slam!

Stay tuned: I fished yesterday and will post a brief review soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment