Saturday, August 1, 2015

Trip Report: Hot and Fishy

First yesterday. I left work around 12 and landed stream-side by one. I tied on a hopper in the heat and lofted to a few curious trout. The first, around 16 inches long, snapped me off on a violent take. The next was a little larger and nipped the fly by the side as to avoid the hook. I watched the whole thing before pulling the hopper out of its mouth. I lost two more decent fish and landed only two dinks before they shut down at around 430. Disappointing results but you can't beat a venue like this!
Today I planned to fish hoppers on one of my home streams. I arrived at 830ish and spoke to a fella from Kentucky who said he had decent luck after arriving stream-side at 530. No cars in the area provided more reason for excitement as I expected to have the stream to my self. After walking a ways and catching three little browns I ran into people who said they'd come from upstream. I saw no more fish before turning around to fish a cool headwaters stream.
This colorful chunker chased a small parachute hopper from a shallow undercut. He put up a decent fight before facing the net. After a quick pic he took off to fight another day. After catching a few smaller browns the brookies came out to play!
Most were around this size but I snapped off on what appeared to be a 12-13 inch brookie. It was neat to see fish react with such enthusiasm over my new hopper. The fish pictured below death rolled onto the fly.
I caught around a dozen fish at this spot and missed as many strikes on the hopper before casting a pink squirrel of prey to some eager trout! I pulled 6 small browns out of the first pool the squirrel met. The second pool yeilded another three before I decided to call it a day.

Bad News: There was a pretty big fish kill on the S. Branch of the Whitewater! I headed over this evening to see how one of my favorite stretches fared and found lots of dead Browns, Rainbows, suckers, and other bait fish. Kinda sad, It'll take years for the effected waters to return to their former glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment