Thursday, August 13, 2015

Trip Report: Trout on the Horizon!

Since last week every day has felt like trout on the horizon. I got out to a local hot spot on a cool stream to fish a few times this week and the fish were plentiful. I scared ten times as many fish as I caught and found fish eager to eat nymphs, emergers, and tradional dries! 
This chunker came on a size 24 trico emerger. In my fly box the trico matched closest to the Pale Evening Dun coming off the surface sporadically. I caught a number of fish on this fly but found that after a few casts the fish began to totally ignore it. 
 The above pictured trout hit a size 16 purple haze that I had left over from Montana. It turns out the purple haze catches 'em in the midwest too. The trout pictured top left came out of a deeper riffle and inspected the fly for a foot or so before committing to eat the fly.
At one point I spotted this and another larger brown trout at the bottom tail out of a deeper pool. I rigged up a pink squirrel of prey and landed this guy. Water temps measured 58 on this day and the trout were looking up!
This little guy sucked down an olive stripped quill zebra midge emerger. On each day I averaged around a dozen fish with most measuring 10-12 inches.

I have off work tomorrow so again, trout are on the horizon. I hope to fish an AM trico hatch followed by some hopper fishing throughout the afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment