Friday, September 18, 2015

Trip Report: New and Old Water

With the day off work I decided to go fishin'. I had great plans but after receiving 2+ inches of rain throughout the night I revised those plans in order to find clean water. With most area streams flowing like chocolate milk I headed to a small tributary to the root river. I'd heard rumors of big brookies! I parked around 9am under sunny skies and began searching for the stream.
The steam is somewhere in there! I found a few deeper runs that were not obscured by vegetation and immediately hooked up to a decent little trout. I thought to myself "if I don't catch another fish all day I'll be satisfied with this big brookie!" As I plunged the net beneath him my excitement turned to mild disappointment. 
This is probably the biggest fish in this little stream. After a few quick pics I returned him to the drink and continued upstream. I caught another half dozen fish before heading to another stream on the way home. As I neared my destination the clouds rolled in providing great cover.
 These little fellas took a pink san juan worm trailed behind a pink squirrel of prey. This section of stream is heavily pressured so I hiked upstream a ways after catching a dozen or so smaller browns.
This wiley beast wouldn't sit still for a pic and squirmed out of my had as this picture was taken. He was the nicest fish I was able to photograph. I landed one around 16-18 inches but as he flopped out of my hand my strike indicator caught my hand and he snapped the line. Oh well! I continued upstream.
This guy rounded out my day. He took the pink squirrel of prey and ran with it. He was a consolation prize after I lost a huge brown. The big boy was pretty well played out and as I guided him toward my net my hook popped out of his jaw and into the tree behind me. After a few choice words I decided to head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment