Saturday, September 5, 2015

Trip Report: Second Day Fishin' With Pa

Dad got his 24 hour license around 5pm yesterday which means (according to Mom) that if he didn't fish until 5pm today he would turn into a pumpkin. Pa and I weren't so sure about that but he didn't want to turn into a pumpkin and I'm always up for some fishing so we headed out early this morning with the intention of fishing until late in the afternoon. We headed to a stream that I'd seen some big fish in recently. I hoped we'd find good numbers but wished even more to see Pa pull in a few decent sized trout.
 After a decent little hike I started out the fun with a decent little brownie. Pa immediately hooked into this decent rainbow. He put up a good fight but was no match for the old man! It stayed cloudy most of the morning and early afternoon with temperatures in the low to mid 80's.
I continued the fun by pulling in this decent little brown. Not to be outmatched Pa pulled in a number of decent trout in a row.
Dad caught this nice brown after pulling in another rainbow and a half dozen smaller browns. He was on fire today! 
 At one point he couldn't keep the trout off his line. The trout could not resist tasting the pink squirrel of prey but rarely committed wholeheartedly to eating the fly. Because they were only "tasting" the fly most times the hook was barely embedded in the tip of the fishes beak. We missed way more fish than we landed. When setting the hook many of the fish would turn and flash before swimming free. Pa fought one nice trout of around 15-16 inches close to hand but he spit the hook before he met the net. After catching around three dozen between the two of us we decided to head toward home to hit another stream.
I landed this nice brownie shortly after we arrived on stream. He ate a size 18 prince nymph that I tied last night. Pa took a few shots at this pool before relinquishing it again to me.
 Never mind the goofy look on my face or my wild hair, these fish came to hand with little fuss. The fish pictured on the left had a Fatboy Copper John with a soft hackle Pheasant Tail dropper hanging out of his mouth when I unhooked my fly. Those flies were mine! He must have snapped me off a while ago and still had the flies in his mouth.

Overall it was a great day of fishing. I finished the day with around a dozen and a half trout and Pa finished with an outstanding two dozen plus! We spotted one 20+ inch trout and 5 or 6 better than 16 inches. This was easily the most fun I've had on the stream in quite a while.

1 comment: