Sunday, May 15, 2016

Trip Report: Little Bit of Fishin'

Today I got out for a little bit of fishin'. Temps surpassed those forecast which made for a hot and sweaty day in the neoprene waders. The sun shone for most of the day with intermittent clouds passing in the afternoon. After the last couple of days of rain throughout our area I expected a nice stain on the water but arrived to a small local stream to find water clear and low. 
I tied up a bunch of San Juan Worms in anticipating of cloudy water but spent most time fishing a Deer Hair Skittering Caddis and Pink Butted Pheasant Tail. Caddis dropped eggs throughout the day and fish rose eagerly to them. 
 The first pool I approached was LOADED with trout! I switched back and forth between the pheasant tail and caddis dry. At least two dozen fish came to hand before moving on. 
This beautiful holdover Rainbow took the pheasant tail out of a fast, shallow run. He put up a great fight. I continued to find fish stacked in pools and was able to land multiple fish from each prime run/pool. Today I fished a section of private property between two easements. I kept my feet wet but couldn't avoid some counseling from the curious land owner. He gave me his phone number and requested that I call him before fishing on his land. I politely agreed to do this while reminding him that according to MN stream access laws I was/am well within my right to fish through private property as long as my feet remain wet. Overall it was a great day of fishing. No big ones but fish averaged 10-12 inches. Although I didn't keep track I caught at least a million fish.

Stay tuned: I'll be doing some good fishing and building a few rods over the next few weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent, Clayton! I wasn't able to do any fishing on Sunday when it warmed up, and I didn't have much luck Saturday. Saw a few caddish and managed to get a couple strikes from what looked like dinks, so not entirely bad. I'll be headed back down to Fillmore County again this weekend. I'll have to try the caddis again...

    ReplyDelete