Sunday, May 8, 2016

Trip Report: Minnesota Mountains

I've been missing the Mountains a lot over the last few weeks so I've tried hard to pay more attention to my beautiful surroundings in the Minnesota Driftless. The fishing has been a little tougher than usual for the last week but I managed a few trout.
On this day I landed around a dozen in an hour and  a half. I fished a dead drifted gray skittering caddis and although the caddis hatch is waning fish were happy to keep chasing the few lingering ones.
 I was beginning to get concerned that I hadn't seen any BWO Mayflies, but today I spotted a few coming off. The trouts were happy to eat a parachute dry or RS2. A few also ate the pink butted pheasant tail.
Yesterday I shared one of my favorite little scenic creeks with my friend Tim In The Woods. His name is Tim and I met him in the woods! Here Tim is fighting a massive brown trout, or was it a rock? After we fished here he took me to another scenic little creek.
This creek was pretty but the fishing was a little slow. There were quite a few people fishing up and down this stream.

At this point the weeds are still pretty short but within the next few weeks it's gonna get tricky to move around the shoreline. All the fairweather fisherman will be done chasing trout and I'll again have a lot of water to myself!
The butterflies are out again too!
While I may not be able to climb to the top of a mountain, chase grizzly bears, and bother big horned sheep, this area is beautiful in it's own way. Stay tuned, hopefully I'll get out fishing again soon.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent photos. Someday Eddie of the Whitewater will come down for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eddie of the Whitewater. Come on down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clayton, if "around a dozen in an hour and a half" is "tougher than usual" fishing, then I'm either doing it completely wrong or fishing in all the wrong places.

    My MN Driftless season starts this weekend after we park the RV at Maple Springs Campground near Forestville State Park for 5 weeks. I'll spend weekends fishing around there until Father's Day. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fading Angler, that sounds like the right way to do it. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete